Read articles on important issues concerning our food.
Featured articles, updates and news from your Silver City Food Co-op.
It’s election time at the Co-op and we thought you might want to know:
1. We must have a quorum for a valid election. According to our current bylaws we need ballots from 100 or 5% of active member-owners, whichever is less.
2. Our bylaws also state that only the member-owner of record can vote and not the other members in the household.
3. Valid ballots need to have the voter’s membership verified (so please fill in all information required on the ballot). A vote for at least one candidate is also required for a valid ballot.
4. This year we have one candidate and two open positions. You may vote for or write-in a maximum of two candidates.
5. The bylaws require that a candidate receive a simple majority (50% plus 1 of the number of valid ballots) in order to be elected. For example, if we have 150 valid ballots a candidate would need to receive at least 76 votes.
6. PLEASE VOTE!
Statement of Candidacy for the
Board of Directors of the Silver City Food Co-op
Dear member-owners of the Silver City Food Co-op,
I am finishing up my first term on the board and running for re-election. Two positions are open, and I really wish I were running against a slew of passionate, qualified members who are as eager, or more eager, to serve than I am.
During these past three years, I have been an active and engaged board member, serving as vice president of the co-op my first year and secretary the past two years. In 2011, I led the effort to revise our bylaws so that we now have an equity membership system. In 2012, I helped guide the co-op through a challenging management transition as Doug Zilm resigned and Joe Z came on board. Currently, as chair of the Member Linkage Committee, we’re working on lots of new ideas to link with member-owners and to attract new members.
This year our co-op is 40 years old… truly remarkable. Our co-op is healthy and strong, and there is talk of expansion. Before we start any major expansion project, it is exceedingly important that we have a well-articulated vision for the future of our co-op—a vision that resonates with you, the member-owners.
If you don’t know me, perhaps you’re wondering about me as a person and what values, skills, and expertise I bring to the board.
• I’m a long-time vegetarian, an exercise nut, a chamber music enthusiast, and a confirmed nature lover.
• Affordable, quality, organic or locally grown foods are important to me. I want to do something proactive to ensure these foods are available to everyone, as well as excite people and communities about the many benefits of these foods.
• A retired information systems and business process specialist, I will continue to apply these skills and knowledge to improve board processes and accountability.
• Skilled at analyzing complex problems and hearing and understanding what various stakeholders have to say, I often see solutions that integrate the best ideas of many people that at first seem impossible to reconcile.
• A team player, I’m always finding ways to solve problems collaboratively.
I care about our co-op and its future very much. Serving on the board is one of the best ways to protect what I believe makes our co-op such a precious resource. If you would like to have me serve another term, please vote for me.
Thank you for taking time to read my statement and for being a part of the Silver City Food Co-op!
PREMIUM 10 STAGE WATER FILTER
Get great tasting, healthy water for just pennies per gallon! — Enviro Products’ patented 10 Stage Water Filter delivers chlorine-free, odorless, great-tasting water at your kitchen sink. The space-saving, attractive countertop filter installs easily in seconds to any standard faucet and allows you to easily change between tap water* and filtered water as needed. Check out our
THE 10 STAGE WATER FILTER REMOVES:
• Chlorine and Chloramines
• Herbicides and Pesticides
• Hydrogen Sulfide (rotten egg odor)
• Trihalomethanes (cancer-causing organic/chlorine compounds)
• Microorganisms such as cysts, giardia, cryptosporidium, protozoa, etc.
• Heavy metals like lead, mercury, cadmium, etc.
• Organic Arsenic
• And dozens of other contaminants!
10 Stages of Protection Against Major Water Contaminants:
Stage 1 - 30 micron sponge filter. Traps larger solids (sediments) such as rust.
Stage 2 - 8 oz. of KDF-55. KDF-55 is a patented alloy which removes free chlorine and some heavy metals, thereby prolonging the life of the filter and is an excellent Bacteriostat.
Stage 3 - 10 micron felt pad which removes smaller floating solids and separates the layers, preserving their integrity.
Stage 4 - 30 cubic inches of ultra fine mesh, superior coconut shell and granulated activated carbon. Granulated activated carbon has long been accepted by the E.P.A. and others as the premier, cost-effective way to remove chlorine, bad odors and color from drinking water. G.A.C. also removes organic contaminants such as pesticides, herbicides, arsenic, mercury and trihalomethanes – a cancer-causing organic pollutant.
Stage 5 - 10 micron felt pad for fine sediment removal.
Stage 6 - 7 cubic inches of ion exchange resin which removes lead to below minimum E.P.A. standards.
Stage 7 - Additional 30 micron felt pad provides an extra buffer against floating sediment of any kind.
Stage 8 - 7 cubic inch bed of G.A.C. which provides extra protection against cancer-causing organic pollutants.
Stage 9 - 2 oz. of calcite which raises the water’s pH and lowers acidity. It also increases alkalinity, which many nutritionists recommend.
Stage 10 - 1 micron absolute depth filter. A filter with a micron rating this small screens out cysts and protozoa, (including Giardia and Cryptosporidium), and gives the filtered water a sparkling clarity.
While the comprehensive 10 Stage Filter removal list is impressive, another great benefit the filter offers is what it leaves in your water: the good minerals that keep us healthy! These include magnesium, potassium, calcium, etc.
365 DAYS OF FANTASTIC, FRESH WATER FOR YOU AND YOUR FAMILY!
The 10 Stage Water Filter has a replaceable filter cartridge that will last a family of 4 an entire year! This is approximately 1500 gallons of water. Enviro Products also offers a FREE cartridge change reminder service. Simply send in your warranty card or call us at 800-592-8371 to register your filter or update your filter change information.
NO MORE LUGGING HEAVY WATER BOTTLES! NO MORE PAYING FOR EXPENSIVE DELIVERIES! SAVE MONEY AND BE HEALTHY!
ENVIRO SHOWER FILTERS
Did you know that your body absorbs more chlorine through the skin and lungs while showering than while drinking tap water? This can irritate your lungs and have seriously harmful side effects over time. Chlorine also strips protein from your skin and hair, leaving it dry and itchy. Get relief with an Enviro Products Shower Filter! — The Enviro Shower Filters contain 16oz of bacteriostatic KDF-55 and 2oz of crystal quartz. Together, they remove chlorine and hydrogen sulfide, reduce heavy metals and naturally soften the water. They fit all showers; simply screw on between the water pipe and your favorite shower head – No Plumbing Required!
ENJOY 1 YEAR OF NATURAL, CHLORINE-FREE WATER!
• Healthier, softer-feeling skin and less brittle hair
• Reduce flaking scalp and irritated eyes
• Longer-lasting, more vibrant hair color
• Extend life of hair products and lotions
• Help battle skin issues such as psoriasis and eczema
• Ease the effects of chlorine exposure on pulmonary diseases such as asthma – no toxic fumes!
• 2 Great Styles – White or Satin Silver
• Long-lasting! Each cartridge lasts for 1 year of average use.
• 1 year warranty
• 30-Day Unconditional Money Back Guarantee
• Complimentary filter-change reminder service. Simply send in your warranty card or call us at 800-592-8371 to register your filter or update your filter change information.
The Enviro Shower Filters remove chlorine and odors immediately. Enjoy smoother, softer and healthier hair & skin after just a few showers!